Saturday, February 13, 2010

Its easy for me to pick a list of musicals that I love, but it's hard for me to rank them :P !!!!! I know for a fact that the first five or so are perfectly ranked. But beyond that, there is a loose definition when you say, "my 6th favorite musical is..." And I wouldn't even look too much into the fact that certain musicals made my top ten. The thing that I always think about is that I'm usually obsessed with a musical at a time, then I listen to the soundtrack too much and then get sick of it, haha. This is true for Sweeney Todd, Les Miserables, The Producers, etc etc. I still love these musicals, but their impact on me has...lost a bit of its fire from when I originally loved them. Here is a loose ranking of my fav musicals and then some honorable mentions.
1. Mame (1966)
2. Ragtime (1998)
3. The Color Purple (2006)
4. Spring Awakening (2008)
5. Sweeney Todd (1979)
6. The Phantom of the Opera (1988)
7. The Producers (2001)
8. The Music Man (1957)
9. Caroline, or Change (2003)
10. Les Miserables (1987)
Honorable Mentions: Carousel, South Pacific, Anything Goes, Gypsy, Cabaret, Passion, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Chicago, Sunday in the Park with George, The Will Rogers Follies, On the 20th Century, West Side Story, Wicked.
I guess if there were a list of musicals that came after the top ten and the honorable mentions it would be the following: A Chorus Line, Company, Dear World, La Cage aux Folles, Show Boat, Beauty and the Beast, Bells Are Ringing, Candide, Evita, Grey Gardens, Sunset Blvd, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Last Five Years, Flora the Red Menace, Urinetown, Kiss Me Kate, Into the Woods, How to Succeed in Business without Really Trying.
This list will grow, and will always be changing in ranking.

No comments:

Post a Comment